Logo
© 2013 . All rights reserved.

MENTORING :: Headshot Lighting with Ashley

abheader

Last month I was honored to have Ashley Briggs travel all the way to Appleton from Australia to mentor with me for a day! We custom tailored his mentorship to cover a handful of business related topics and dig into the nitty gritty of lighting for headshots and portraits in-studio. I also designed various lighting/background scenarios, talked about proper lens selection for shooting headshots and studied how various light modifiers affect an image. And not to mention I initiated Ashley with his very first can of PBR. Overall it was a great day and we had a ton if fun! Big thanks to Ash for making the long trip to hang out with me. I’ll have my eye on you over the next several months…

Below are some of the images we worked on throughout the afternoon:

AB_01

AB_02

AB_03

AB_04

AB_05

AB_07

AB_08

AB_09

7 Comments

1. Posted 12 Dec ’13 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Dave, always love seeing your work. Awesome you were able to mentor someone to help them learn more in their craft. When can I come from Massachusetts!? haha

2. Posted 12 Dec ’13 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

@Aaron~ Funny enough, I’ll be in Mass. On February 13th and 14th teaching my workshops. Would love to have you! Either here or there..

Cheers,
    ~dave

3. Posted 12 Dec ’13 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

This is awesome. Love hearing about the folks you mentor. My friend from Australia will be visiting me in 2014. I used to write for his photography blog photoguides.net. He is now concentrating on his new startup called Tablo now so his focus is away from photography. He is hoping I can reignite his love for photography when he comes to visit. This post gets me pumped for that. Great stuff.

4. Posted 12 Dec ’13 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I love that last picture of Amanda!

5. Posted 13 Dec ’13 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Pretty killer images. I am sure that he was stoked on the experience!

6. Posted 28 Jan ’14 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Hey Dave,

Curious if you are ever in Chicago. I would love to get involved with a workshop here or buy you a drink or something. Your work has really inspired me man.

Thanks,
    Devin

• Posted 28 Jan ’14 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Devin~

I am. In fact I am 2.5 hours from Chicago. However, after next month I will no longer teach workshops again. Ever. The education chapter in my life has come to a close unfortunately. I do however, welcome one-on-one mentorships. Email me dave (at) davidejackson (dot) com for more info!

~dave